11.12.2008

My Weird-Ass Band and its Weird-Ass Everything, Episode 1: Vagina Flyer

So I'm in a band called The Cell Phones. This band is maybe my favorite thing that has happened in Chicago. It's drums (Justin), bass (Ryan) and good ol' soul-singin' (me). We sound like murder. We've been together since January and since then have made 12 or so songs, 5 or 6 shows, and maybe $70. Look out, top 40! We're comin' atcha!

One of the coolest things about this band is that it not only sates my appitite for screaming into a microphone, but also my addiction to art projects, namely, making flyers for each show. Ryan and I are both extremely odd and perverted artists, much to both Justin's joy and disgust (he's a liar, he likes it all). When it was time to do a flyer for our second show, Ryan says to me, "I want a vagina talking on a cell phone," to which I quickly responded, "How about a woman talking to her vagina on a cell phone?" And when we were full of booze one night at my place, we started it.

We drew the picture like chess. He'd draw a cell phone, I'd draw the woman's blushed face, he'd draw the vagina, I'd draw her breasts, he'd say 'more boobs' and I'd say 'hells yeah', I'd say 'more hair' and he'd say '2 steps ahead of you'. In the end, we got this:



We also put this image in zip-lock bags with glitter and our demo (most people could not play the demos because they were covered in glitter). Justin saw it and told us he hated it, but he just wasn't very enthusiastic about hating it.

I showed it to everyone at my workplace, and it always took them a second or two before they realized what it really was.

No comments: